Using the Wahls protocol for healing with Dr. Terry L. Wahls.
The modified paleo diet called the Wahls protocol, developed by Dr. Terry Wahls to address her multiple sclerosis, can be a powerful diet for autoimmune and gut healing. In this episode, Dr. Wahls shares what really helps patients change their diet, what to include and avoid on the protocol, and whether adapting the protocol for gut health is ok.
In This Episode
Dr. Terry Wahls’ Story … 00:04:03
Improving Nutrient Density on the Paleo Diet … 00:08:41
Adapt Your Diet Template … 00:10:07
Cultural Sensitivity with Diet Modification … 00:13:54
Is Nutrient Status Important? … 00:16:33
Behavioral Change Model for Patient Compliance … 00:20:52
Transitioning to the Wahls Protocol … 00:25:44
Least Nutrient-Dense Plant Foods … 00:28:04
Wahls Protocol & Gut Health … 00:30:20
Does Microbiome Testing Give Actionable Results? … 00:33:28
Mental and Spiritual Health is Vitally Important … 00:41:11
Subscribe for future episodes
Wahls Protocol: Improving on the Paleo Diet
- Make sure food is organic
- Decrease meat, eggs
- These foods are rich in vitamin K, polyphenols, magnesium, and carotenoids.
- Avoid or limit:
- Sweet fruits: stick to berries or citrus fruits
Adapt Your Wahls Protocol for Gut Health
- Diet templates need to be adapted for personal needs
- People with gut health conditions may need to consider low FODMAP or other modifications
Hi everyone. I want to thank Doctor’s Data who helped to make this podcast possible and who I’m very excited to say has now released a profile called the GI 360 which is finally a validated microbiota mapping measure.
If you remember back, I’ve discussed numerous times the only lab that is really validating a mapping of the microbiota to have clinical significance is the GA map out of Norway. Well, turns out that Doctor’s Data is not only using the same methodology but also in collaboration with this group in Norway using their parameters to adjust what we call normal, abnormal or dysbiotic and normal. So great news, we finally have a validated measure.
Now this test also offers, in addition to the microbiota dysbiosis index, a PCR assessment for bacteria, virus and pathogens, a comprehensive microscopy for a parasite, a MALDI-TOF bacteria and yeast culture. And as you would imagine, because of the rigorous validation they’ve gone through, they also have approval from the CE, which is equivalent to the European FDA.
So great test, please check them out. Doctor’s Data is offering 50% off a practitioner’s first GI 360 test kit. Go to doctorsdata.com/Ruscio to claim your first kit, limit one per provider. The offer ends October 31st, 2020.
Encouraging Patient Compliance
- Cultural sensitivity is important when suggesting diet modification.
- If you can get people to adopt and maintain a healthy diet, there is sometimes miraculous healing.
- Dr. Wahls uses a 15-step behavioral change model
- Inspire patients with positive case studies and group visits.
- Motivate patients by connecting changes with what’s important to them (i.e. what they love or really want).
- Mental and spiritual health is vitally important for helping patients heal.
- Evaluating how the patient feels and their symptoms is usually more valuable than lab testing.
Wahls Protocol & Gut Health
- Eating well positively influences your gut microbiome, and therefore the “metabolome”.
- See this study in which probiotics benefitted multiple sclerosis (MS) patients compared to controls.
Resources & Links (click to expand)
Full Podcast Transcript (click to expand)
[INSERT Temi Transcript. Use H3 for any section headings.]