Why long COVID affects some more than others and which nutritional, herbal, and lifestyle interventions (like protein, sleep, and amino acids) can help improve symptoms
For many years, Dr. Hedberg has been a speaker in the functional medicine arena, presenting on autoimmune disease and the connection between infections and chronic illness. In this podcast, he speaks about why long COVID affects some more than others and what nutritional, herbal, and lifestyle interventions can help improve symptoms. Listen in to hear more.
Dr. Ruscio’s, DC Fast Facts
Long COVID predictors
- Comorbidities (obesity, asthma, diabetes, etc.)
- Vaccination status
- Social determinants
Potential causes of long COVID
- Viral antigen persistence
- Gut dysbiosis
- Systemic and tissue specific inflammation
- Reactivation of herpes virus, Epstein Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, or shingles
- Microvascular dysfunction
- Immune system dysregulation
Goals to improve long COVID symptoms
- Improve body mass and insulin resistance
- Re-establish immune system balance
- Restore gut health
Healing approaches to long COVID
- Dietary: Green leafy vegetables, berries, green tea, beetroot juice, a low histamine diet, intermittent fasting, adequate protein consumption (starting with 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram body weight)
- Herbs and supplements: L-Citrulline, arginine with vitamin C, garlic, slippery elm, melatonin, turmeric, glutathione, Resveratrol, ashwagandha, ginger
- Lifestyle choices: sleep hygiene, vagus nerve stimulation
Subscribe for future episodes
Hey there. This is Erin Ryan from the Dr. Ruscio, DC team answering a few of the top questions about our elemental heal.
- What if I have a whey or milk protein allergy? Well, you can order our whey free version of our elemental heal. I actually have those allergies as well, and I do great with the whey free formula.
- I have histamine intolerance, which formula is best? Dr. Ruscio, DC recommends either the low carb vanilla or the whey free peach flavors.
- Is the whey protein grass fed? Yes, it is.
- Can I add MCT powder or oil to add calories? So Dr. Ruscio, DC recommends talking to your doctor about your caloric goals and then if you do decide to add it in, just start slow.
You can learn a lot more about our elemental heal formulas at drruscio.com/EH. You can order from there as well. So just visit drruscio.com/EH.